Wednesday, August 15, 2012

RADICAL Liquid A



THE NAME 
Liquid A happened about 3 years into my DJing. 
I was going by DJ Andy T when I first started out.
When I really got into playing Drum & Bass music I decided to go by the name Liquid A. 
Liquid because it's the style of Drum & Bass that I play the most. 
I'd like to think its what my music sounds & feels like. 
Kind of gives you the feeling of swimming underwater, & A because of my name. 
I liked the sound of it & it stuck.

THE MUSIC
Drum & Bass is the type of music I play the most. 
I play some deep house and some minimal tech once in a while.
I'd have to say that Drum & Bass is my first love. 
The first time I tried playing it, I was immediately hooked. 
I play the lighter side of DnB which people like to call liquid, soulstep, or jazzstep. 
There are so many sub genres now that it can get kind of confusing. 
I'm very drawn to organic sounds and live instruments like piano, strings, horns & killer bass lines. 
I grew up listening to a lot of Classical, Jazz & Rnb music and those styles really come out in my sound. 
Very atmospheric, groovy & sexy vibe, and definitely the kind of music that uplifts the mind & spirit despite the fast beats. There is always some sort of live element you can hear in the songs I choose. 
Like I said, it kind of gives the illusion of being under water.

BECOMING A DJ
It was something I wanted to do since I was in 2nd year high school. 
I would go to parties & see the DJ's & I would always think "I'd love to do that." 
It wasnt until I turned 19 that I was able to get equipment and really get into it, though. 
There is a certain magic in being behind the decks & seeing people get lost in the music. 
When you're back there you see and hear everything. 
Your sensitivity is heightened and when you're in that groove, everything is perfect. 
Nothing comes close. It's beautifully addicting. 
No matter what mood I'm in, put me behind the decks and everything will be alright. 
It's a conversation without words between you and everyone in the room. 
I think that is so powerful. 
I don't think I could ever stop being a DJ. 
It's become so much a part of me, & I wouldnt trade it for anything. 
I feel so blessed.

THE PHILIPPINE DJ SCENE
I think it's quite nice [being a female DJ]. 
There is a great appreciation for female DJ's here as everyone is so accustomed to seeing a man play the music. 
They always do double takes when they realize that its a lady behind the decks. 
I feel very lucky being in the musical circle I'm in. 
Groups like Deeper Rhythms, Gotsoul and my home base, Nomad Massive have provided awesome avenues for me to play my music and be heard. 

INSPIRATION
I'd have to say that everything inspires me when I'm behind the decks. 
The day, the mood I'm in, the people in the room, the energy, their reactions. 
When I catch someone dancing after not knowing how to react to the music earlier in the evening. 
Also, the music I play inspires me a lot. 
I play what I enjoy listening to in the hopes that the crowd will enjoy it too. 
Sometimes when I play a track, it feels exactly the way it did the first time I heard it. 
The feeling it gives never really changes. 
So you're able to repeat those good feelings over and over which is awesome. 
Sometimes I play specific songs at key points in my set just to see if I can get a certain reaction from the people. 
Ah, the feeling of being behind the decks. Nothing comes close.  

GIG SCHEDULE
Every Saturday @ Time in Manila Roof Deck
 Check Out LIQUID A Facebook Page for Gig Schedules & Updates:


No comments:

Post a Comment